Saturday, September 13, 2008

Through the Winds!

There is a hurricane in Texas today.

The storm surge is supposed to be hitting the area where I live any time now. Wal-Mart was congested the last few days, gas pumps had mile long lines, and everyone is in for cover to their homes, not getting out as much as possible.

My roommate, Fran, just came in to my room. She said, "You know, it's amazing." She opened up my blinds and said, "Look. There are crazy winds out there, stuff's getting blown around and the rain is coming down, and we're just safe and sound in our house. I was just thinking, thank you, Lord for the safety and shelter of this house. I'm just vacuuming and the storm is not touching me. It makes me think of Paul in Acts when he said, 'All this-- it doesn't move me. Who I am in Christ is not moved by all this on the outside.'"

A few months ago, I was reading through Psalm 16, taking it verse by verse. Verse 1 says, "Keep me safe, O God, for in you I take refuge." I prayed and spent some time on this verse. I asked God what that really was to look like in our lives. I received the following image in response to my prayer:
I was inside a tent, which was sitting outside somewhere. I had a lantern in the tent which I was holding up over myself, as I was tucked in my sleeping bag, poring over the Word of God in my Bible. Outside all around my tent were fires raging around me- widespread, tall fires. But in my tent I was safe, the fires weren't touching me, and I was existing safely and warmly there, reading God's Word.

It was such a powerful image to me. That though storms and fires and difficulties rage all around us everyday, if we remain in Him, seeking after the Word of God, these momentary sufferings can't touch us. The storms can blow all around us, and we can be safe.

Training for my half marathon officially starts next week. I've been pre-training the last three weeks, though, to get my body ready for the next 12 weeks. Some days have been harder than others. What God is impressing on me most recently is the importance of leaning into His Word, while earnestly praying and seeking Him. As I continue the training for this run, taking things a day at a time, I want my mind and inner man during the outer physical struggles to be like that tent in the midst of the fires- safe, secure, steadfast, and unshakeable. Because I want to keep running this race!

"I don't know about you, but I'm running hard for the finish line. I'm giving it everything I've got.... I'm staying alert and in top condition."
1 Corinthians 9:26 (The Message)

I hope this finds you blessed friends- and diving into the shelter of God's Word!

Beth

No comments: