Thursday, September 11, 2008

Why I Am Running

Well, friends, with the creation of this blog, this makes it all the more final. No backing out now!

After some consideration- and an honest to goodness fight overcoming some fear- I have decided to run the Dallas White Rock Half Marathon on December 14, 2008. There are several reasons I want to do this. In a nutshell: God healed my body of something I had thought I'd have to live with my whole life. I love Mike and Suzy Dempsey and believe with my whole heart in the work they are doing for the people who live along the mighty Amazon River in Peru. And I love Jesus. As times are getting fierce, I want to strengthen my inner man to be able to continue to stand for Him and to give Him honor with my strengthened body.

In August 2008, I travelled with Teen Mania to Tijuana, Mexico. I was one of two nurses on the trip, there to provide medical care to the over 800 people from the United States who went on the trip to build houses for the people of Tijuana and share the love of Jesus with the people in so doing. It was an amazing trip. I saw God move in ways that stunned me silent and had me recollecting Jesus's ways in the New Testament of healing diseases, setting captives free, and releasing people from darkness and oppression. Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father" (John 14:12).

We saw amazing things happen that week in Tijuna that forever altered my faith and belief in the now-present power of Jesus. But by the end of that week I became sick and very ill. The last two days of the trip were not so fun. Fran, the other nurse on my team, and Rob Graham, a paramedic on the trip prayed for me strongly. I remember Fran especially, spending concentrated times in prayer over me, and proclaiming during one of those times as she touched my body that, "All would be well in Beth, all disease must flee, in Jesus's name." You can read my healing story "here."

My excuse for not running marathons or half marathons was always my hypoglycemia. Now the excuse was gone. Still I didn't feel a need or desire to run that great of a distance- I'd always thought perhaps those people were living on a fringe that I just didn't need to be a part of. But something pulled at me when more of my friends were contemplating running this year's marathon. Something pulled at me and said, "What if?"

I have struggled with fear a great deal in my life. It has held me back one too many times. And living in a world where fighting evil seems to become a little more commonplace every day, I desire to strengthen my spirit and be able to stand for Jesus against our fierce and relentless enemy- the one who so often tries to steal, kill, and destroy. I want to gird myself up and strengthen my fighting man.

Last- what made this finally not so much about me and created a living, fire-breathing purpose within me was thinking about Mike and Suzy Dempsey. Mike and Suzy live in Peru. They used to live in the United States doing regular jobs like you and me. Then, God called them to Peru- to tell His people there about how He loves them and to use Mike and Suzy's knowledge and talents to provide for the people's basic medical, educational, and economic needs. Mike and Suzy packed it up, went to Peru, and never turned back. They wage a daily battle furthering the work of the kingdom. I have gone to the Amazon for the last two years and been fortunate to be a small part of that work. I believe in it and them with my whole heart. And since I left Mike and Suzy this last May, I've been trying to figure out a way to bless them.

***SO, HERE IT IS***: I'm running 13 miles one morning come December. You can help me, and thereby really help Mike, and Suzy. You can pledge a dollar amount per mile as you desire, with the knowledge that every dollar raised goes straight to Amazon Medical Missions, the organization the Dempseys started. You can pledge $1 a mile, 5$, 10$. Whatever is on your heart.

And I will run the race. I will run for Jesus. I will run for glory and in HIs amazing power that went all the way to the grave, to death and back for you and for me. In the power that healed a once broken body and has now set it free.

It won't be easy. I'll need your encouragement and your support. But I can't help and imagine on the days I won't want to go out and run, the days that every step feels like a struggle- that Mike and Suzy are waking up, putting their feet in front of them, and continuing to go forth with everything they have for a love that is worth it.

Will you help me, friends? Will you give to their great work and help me run for the kingdom? I hope so! I really want to share it with you! Please, please, please keep my running in your prayers- as well as the work in the Amazon.

God Bless---

Run for Life!!!

Beth

No comments: