Sunday, December 7, 2008

Week 11: Training Resumed and Complete

Amount raised for Amazon Medical Missions so far: $890.00.

Well, I'm resting on my couch after completing the 10 mile run for today. 10 miles! I never thought I'd say in my life that I actually ran 10 miles. In fact, last December as I stood on the sidelines of my roommates running their own marathons, I said (out loud even), "I will never have the need to run like this."

Never say never.

Well, the race is 1 week from today! I'm getting really excited. Three months of all this running, and I am ready to finish this. I am ready to meet the goal that I've been training for. I am ready to cross the finish line and see what all God will do and has done. I thought to myself today while I ran, "I can't believe my body is able to do this now. I can't believe it can run this far. This is how I know God is real." And it just makes me love Him so much more.

I was a little scared with getting the flu last week and missing an entire week of training, that having to huff it 10 miles today would be a little bit difficult. My alarm went off this afternoon from a Sunday nap, and I must have snoozed it 4 times wanting to delay having to run that much. I got in the car with my roommate, Melissa, who is also running and when we arrived at our running destination and started to exit the car, I quickly jumped back in, closed the door, and said, "I don't want to run 10 miles today." I didn't, honestly. Who does, really? :)

But God did it, y'all. Every time my stomach ached or my feet ached or my calf muscles ached, I just turned it over to Jesus and asked Him to make it new and do His thing. I read Isaiah's words before the run and meditated on them during it, and they kept me going on the difficult stretches:

"For I am the LORD, your God,
who takes hold of your right hand
and says to you, Do not fear;
I will help you." (41:13)

"He doesn't get tired out, doesn't pause to catch his breath....
He energizes those who get tired,
gives fresh strength to dropouts.
For even young people tire and drop out,
young folk in their prime stumble and fall.
But those who wait upon God get fresh strength.
They spread their wings and soar like eagles,
They run and don't get tired,
they walk and don't lag behind." (
Isaiah 40, The Message)

I just kept thinking about how God doesn't get tired out, doesn't have to catch His breath. I kept thinking that Christ is in me, so His energy is available to me! And every time I got tired, I told Him I was waiting on Him, waiting on Him so He'd renew my strength. And He did. He's so good, y'all. This ten mile run was, I think, my best run so far. Now that is a testimony to the God we serve!

Okay, I run very little this next week to "taper down" and rest and prepare my body for race day. So, if you think about it, pray for race day. Pray for good weather and an able spirit and body. And- for the whole reason of all of this- that many will see and hear and put their trust in the Lord!

Blessings, friends
---Beth

2 comments:

Bethany said...

Great Post! You always put everything into perspective for me and I thank you for that. You and your blog inspires me and when I get to the 10 mile point I will think of the Isaiah verse and your passion in Christ who strengthened you and he who WILL strengthen me as well! Pretty awesome, many blessings this week :)

Bethany said...

I gave your blog an award. You don't have to do it, but just know I'm blessed to have found your blog. Good Luck on your race!!!